Saturday, August 1, 2020



The Fleeing Shadow

by Mythili Tarakad Seshu




It is always behind me,
I stop moving.
As I wait for a sign,
That I’m not dreaming.

I make a point,
Of staying away.
Before the darkness
Consumes me.

Whispers follow me,
I’m forever haunted.
Glances speak more,
Than words ever could.

I block out the sounds,
And focus on my path.
I can’t help but wonder,
Am I far enough?

I have had it by now,
It’s time to face it head on.
I turn around,
Waiting for the ultimate showdown.

A figure steps out of the shadows,
Fully cloaked in black.
It takes its mask off,
And I find my face staring back.

I recoil in horror with the realization.
My body stiffens, my eyes narrow.
My purpose has finally come to light,
As I watch the figure’s fleeing shadow.

🔆

(Mythili Tharakad Seshu is a grade 10 student in GEMS Our Own English High School, Dubai. Her hobbies include reading and singing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment