Saturday, August 1, 2020






Charlotte's Dream Comes True

by Lakshmisree Raju 




'Perfect!' the doll maker said. 'The rarest and most exclusive doll I have ever made.' 

That was me, when I was born! My master, who made me, always called me exclusive. That was a very nice feeling. It made me feel proud of myself. But it was not so long before I was bought. A small girl was in love with me - I know I am so beautiful - and compelled her mother to get it for her.

 I wonder if my master even remembers me now or was the word 'exclusive' just for the purpose of selling. Most probably, yes. But it doesn’t matter because I got an even better family now. Abby take really good care of me. Her family treats me just like a real person. I’m sure that there is no other family like the one I am living with now.

But as time slowly passed by, I was sitting at the very back of her toy cupboard. That was where her unused toys were stored. It meant that she didn’t like me anymore! 

 One or two months later, Abby was clearing her toys. As she was going through her toys, my hands were shivering and my heart was racing with fear. I didn’t want to go away from her! But guess what happened, she threw me in the trash can just because I was a little torn. That’s not fair! She should have at least donated me to poor children, but she didn’t. She threw me right into the trash can. Then, a few days later, I was transferred to the big common dustbin.

'Eww! It stinks in here,' I thought.  It was one of the smelliest places I have ever stayed in. I never knew dustbins smell this bad. After a few weeks, I got used to the smell. I was feeling very lonely. 

I was staying there for years and years. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t move. If I could, I would have run away years ago.

One of my all time wishes was to become alive and be a human. I have always wondered how it would be to become a human. I’ve always wanted to explore life myself and get to know more things and people. I’ve always wanted to see how it is to express emotions rather than keeping it all to myself. You know that dolls like me can’t react, but humans think that we also don’t have thoughts and feeling. Too bad we can’t show them. 

As soon as I was thinking about it, a girl came. She looked at me and then she picked me up. 'Yes! I finally have someone to live with.' I was filled with ecstasy. But she threw me down and my excitement also went down the slide.

I went back to being lonely and sad again. I was surprised how I hadn’t got any friends till now even though I had been here for over two years. 

A few days passed and a couple came near the dustbin. They looked at me as if they had never seen something like me before. They picked me up. That was the best time of my life. They took me to their home and gave me food. But of course I couldn’t eat it before because I used to be a doll. But not anymore.

The couple who took me to their home wanted me because they wanted a girl child for so long but their wish hadn’t come true. They were treating me as their daughter. One day I was laying in their bed and I over heard them.

'Do you know that we can have a girl child,' the old man said.

 'What? How?” She exclaimed with a big smile on her face. 

'I found a magic word that can turn any doll into an human,' said the man with great excitement. 

'Wow ! OK, then what are we waiting for? Lets do it now!'

Hearing this I was pumped up, ready to become a human. As they said the magical words, my emotions were all mixed up, I didn’t know what to do. I was overjoyed.

And… puff! I became a human. Both my parents gave me a big hug and I screamed, 'Hurray!'

Good things never happen sudden, but the wait is worth it.

🔆

(Lakshmisree Raju is a grade 8 student in Indian School, Al Ghubra. She is trained in Carnatic music, which is her first love. She loves crafting and bakes cakes whenever there is an occasion.)


2 comments: