Monday, August 31, 2020

 Book Review


Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Wrecking Ball
by Angela D'Souza
Grade 8

 

 

Being an avid reader, I can go through a really interesting book within hours. I have read so many books that it is difficult to pick ONE favourite. But in the humorous children’s fiction genre, my favourite would have to be the Wimpy Kid series. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series involves the experiences of a middle-grader named Gregory Heffley, and other characters including his best friend Rowley, brothers Rodrick and Manny, and his parents. I recently re-read the whole series, and luckily, this time I had a new book to add to this list: 'The Diary of a Wimpy Kid–Wrecking Ball', the latest in the 14-book long comedy fiction series.  

The book starts with Greg having a yard sale, selling all the junk he found while spring-cleaning his closet, and it shows us the plans for his dream home. But the real story begins, when Greg, and his family receive the news of his great-aunt, Reba’s death. She left all her fortune to her family members, and each family member has a different plan of what to do with their newly inherited fortune. Ultimately, they all unwillingly agree to Mom’s idea of making some improvements to their home. It all begins very well when the builders begin making the adjustments, until a part of the wall is torn down, and they discover there is toxic mould AND a rodent’s nest in the very walls they had been living in. After going through more problems with their home, they decide to sell it and buy a new one. So is Greg going to have to leave his old home and friends behind, or will everything turn out well for him in the end?

This book is very amusing and I especially enjoyed it as humour is one of my favourite genres. I have read all the books in the Wimpy Kid series and loved every single one of them. The writing style of the author, Jeff Kinney really fascinates me. The tension in his books keeps increasing, and when you least expect it, there is a plot twist which leaves you stunned. I find some parts of his books so funny, they make me crack up until I regain my composure and can continue reading!

Wrecking Ball is one of the better books in the Wimpy Kid series. Even someone who doesn’t like to read can try this book, because it is written in such a way that it captivates the reader with its humour and suspense. Since the whole series is based on the experiences of a middle-grader, I find some parts which relate to my life too, and that makes me like it even more! I would recommend this book (and all the other books in the series) to anyone who enjoys reading light entertaining books, and if you have already read the previous Wimpy Kid books, you should definitely go for this one!

My rating: 4.5/5

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment